Diet Vegetable soup
A couple of weeks back now I discovered that I was spending about $10 a day on my lunch from Au Bon Pain. A bowl of 12 veggie soup,a small roll,and a drink – about $10. The soup is so tasty but $10 a day for lunch adds up to about $200 per month and there are clearly many other things that I would prefer to spend $200 on besides soup and bread. So I decided to make my own.
For this recipe I started with the original 12 vegetables (onions,carrots,celery,leeks,zucchini,yellow squash,diced tomatoes,edamame,broccoli,potatoes,corn,and mushrooms) and added okra,spinach and green beans to make 15 veggie soup. I just calculated the cost of the recipe out and the total cost is $18.26 per recipe which ends up being about $1.52 per 8oz serving…which is a pretty significant savings from the ABP version. I got many of the calculations from this websitethis is a GREAT resource for tasty recipes on a budget!
- In a large saucepan with a lid,cook the onions in the olive oil on medium/high heat for about 5-7 minutes until slightly translucent and brown around the edges.
- Remove the lid,add the salt and pepper,stir,and then add the carrots,celery,and green beans and stir. Cook with the lid off for another 5 minutes.
- Add leeks,zucchini,yellow squash,okra,corn,tomatoes (diced and pureed),edamame,broccoli,potatoes,and the vegetable stock (and the lid).
- Allow the soup to come to a full boil and then turn the temperature to low heat and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat off but allow pot to remain on the burner. Add the spinach and mushrooms and allow greens to wilt before serving (about 5-10 minutes)
- Serve the soup with some fresh bread and call it a day!
Dr. McDougall's Right Foods Vegan Tortilla Soup with Baked Chips, 2-Ounce Cups (Pack of 6)
Grocery (Dr. McDougall's Right Foods)
You might also like:
If you do the Cabbage Soup Diet,2009-08-06 08:49:16 by A-muse-d
And follow it to the letter, it does work. Word of caution, it is very strict and can be hard to stick to. Also, as soon as you go off the diet, guess what? You begin gaining weight again.
To lose weight sustainably, you may want to incorporate the Cabbage Soup vegetable ingredients into your regular diet.
Here are a couple of fun variations, because soppy, soupy veggies get very boring, very fast...
Use all Cabbage soup ingredients but sub red cabbage, red bells, & red onions for their green counterparts
Cabbage Soup Diet2006-05-03 22:10:06 by AmIDoingThisRight?
Anybody with any experience with this diet? Ive been doing it for three days - I have unlimited amounts of the vegetable soup during the day, I eat a regular dinner, but restricted portions. Seems like I should be famished by dinner time, but Im not hungry at all. I havent lost any weight either.
Please no judgement - I need to lose weight FAST or relapse into depression with body image issues.
The China Study Cookbook: Over 120 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes
Book (BenBella Books)
Protidiet Beef Vegetable Flavor Protein Soup Mix (7 Portions)
Healthy and Diet Food -vegetable Soup - 52"H x 35"W - Peel and Stick Wall Decal by Wallmonkeys